Monday, June 9, 2008

Perry St Brunch Round 2

After a wonderful Perry St brunch with Gabe a month and a half ago, I recommended it to my girl friends as a girls day out sort of thing. We went yesterday prior to watching the Sex and the City movie (Note: I really enjoyed the movie, but no we did not get all corny or dressed up for the event).

While trying to decide what to eat, we ended up choosing a bottle of Torrontes, 2007 (Sagra, Argentina) for $20. This was a wonderful white wine and absolutely perfect for brunch on a hot, summer day. I never knew what kind of wine would be appropriate for brunch, but now I do. It was very slightly sweet, pleasant, and easy to drink.



After we finally decided on what we were going to order, we were given an amuse-bouche of cold cucumber soup with some kind of foam. I want to say it was a parmesan foam, but I could be very wrong with that. I'm not sure what my friends thought of it, but I actually really loved it. Probably more than the sweet pea amuse bouche soup I got here last time. It was tangy and refreshing with a hint of salt.



For my first course, I got the House Made Mozzarella with Pickled Rhubarb and Black Pepper. The mozzarella was really good with the black pepper and the slightly syrupy sauce it came with. The pickled rhubarb contrasted the subtlety of the mozzarella really well, but the strong pickle taste had to be muted with some bites of bread every now and then.


For my second course, I got the House Made Gravlax with Poached Eggs and a Toasted Brioche. I really loved this one. Normally I don't like dill, but the accent of dill on this dish was nice. It was certainly rich with the eggs and buttery brioche, but was not overwhelmingly so. I wouldn't have minded another slice of the gravlax, but in any case, this was a great brunch dish.

I got the passion fruit sunflower dessert that Gabe ordered last time, so I won't bother to repost the picture.

Overall, brunch was pretty good, but for some reason, I wasn't as wowed this time around as I was the first time I ate here. Our waitress seemed a bit aloof, and sometimes it took awhile for the busboys to get rid of our plates and give us new bread.

Now that I've been to Perry St twice for brunch, the next step is to have lunch at Jean-Georges...

Perry St
176 Perry St
New York, NY

No comments: