Sunday, January 25, 2009

Penne with Haricot Verts and Bacon


I'm pretty limited in terms of ingredients here in Dominica, especially with the little free time I have while in medical school. However, my goal for this semester is to cook dinner more often, no matter how simple and unimpressive it may be. Well, I went to Roseau (the main city in Dominica) yesterday. It's an hour away, so it's not too often I can give myself the chance to go there. On Saturday mornings, they have a huge outdoor market where tons of vendors sell their fresh fruits, veggies, and fish. I believe you have to get to the market SUPER early in the morning in order to score some fish, so I haven't had any luck with that yet. Anyways, I bought some onions and haricot verts. I would've liked to buy more fruits and veggies, but food spoils SO quickly here, so I didn't want to buy much more than that. I also had heavy groceries from the grocery store with me too.

So for dinner tonight, I made penne with haricot verts and fully-cooked bacon. Yes, bacon is VERY hard to come by here, so I had to bring a Costco package of fully-cooked bacon with me from home. I cooked the haricot verts and bacon in olive oil, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Overall, the pasta turned out surprisingly well. It was simple and healthy, minus the bacon part...but really, everything tastes so much better with bacon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmm bacon, looks yummy. but beware of the nitrates/nitrites...when cooked at high temps they form nitrosamines which are carcinogenic, but i'm sure you already knew that lol.

my household is just the opposite. my mom avoids buying cold cuts, hot dogs, bacon and other processed meats because of the health risks. we only buy them when we have guests over and/or when it's a special occasion.

hope you're doing well trish =)

-ingrid