Sunday, September 6, 2009

avec

About a year ago, I ate at avec restaurant in Chicago and wrote about it. It's one of my favorite places in this city, so I wanted Gabe to try it. He spent about 5 days in Chicago during my short 2 week summer break, and Avec was among the many places we ate at.


This was my 3rd time trying Avec's famed chorizo-stuffed medjool dates with smoked bacon and a piquillo pepper-tomato sauce. It's just one of those dishes you MUST get during any visit to Avec. They are absolutely awesome as the different flavors stimulate all taste buds. If I were to be really picky, I would actually make them smaller so that the chorizo doesn't stand out more than the sweetness of the dates.


This is the whipped brandade with garlic bread and herbs ($9), which is the other Avec signature item that always stays on the menu. For those who don't know, brandade is a puree of salt cod, olive oil, and milk, although this was so rich that I wouldn't be surprised if butter were thrown in there too. For such a rich dish, Gabe and I absolutely loved this. It was extremely tasty and well-balanced as the salt cod did not overpower the creaminess.


The last dish that we shared was the wood-oven braised pork shoulder with garlic sausage, summer squash, fideos, and basil pistou ($21). This was a very hearty dish. The pork was so tender that it just fell apart at the touch of a fork. A knife was never needed for this. The garlic sausage was, well, garlicky, but it added a bold flavor to the dish. I personally didn't really care too much for the fideos, nor did I find them necessary. Overall, this was a great dish. I was afraid it would be more suitable for the winter since it's braised and a bit heavy, but Avec "summer-ed" it up a bit with the summer squash and basil pistou. However, the dish was still deceptively filling.

This was yet another fabulous meal at Avec. One of the things I love so much about Avec is that it's a great casual no-frills hangout spot that still serves excellent food and wine. This is something that is sometimes hard to come by, but all of Paul Kahan's joints fulfill this quite well. Avec (and all of Kahan's establishments, for that matter) change their menus so frequently that you can keep going back there again and again. It's great to see chefs constantly experimenting and stirring up new things.

Avec
avecrestaurant.com
615 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL

2 comments:

CHERYL said...

This places looks really good! And I can't believe the prices... a place like that in NYC? Forget it!

Tricia said...

yeah, i'm pretty sure the prices would be double in nyc! this place is sooo good.