Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mussels Mariniere


For one of our nights in Chicago, we just decided to cook at my house. We made that pasta which I wrote about in one of my earlier posts which you can find under the "recipes" tag. People said that it was better than the last time I made it, so that's good! Gabe and I made mussels mariniere which we've made in the past. It's seriously one of the easiest things to make.

My mom bought 5 pounds of live mussels at Costco. We didn't really do any measurements, but here's what we did:

1. Heat 4tbs of butter in a large saucepan
2. Add a bunch of minced garlic (maybe 6-8 cloves worth?)
3. Add a bunch of chopped shallots (maybe 1-2 hands full?)
4. Add about 2 cups of dry white wine (we may have added more than that)
5. Once the alcohol is cooked off, add the mussels, and cover the pan
6. Mix once in awhile so all the mussels are getting some sauce and heat
7. It's finished once the shells are all open (this should only take 5 minutes or so)!
8. Add chopped fresh parsley to garnish

This was definitely a big hit with my family/relatives. 5 pounds of mussels only cost $9 at Costco. Mussels are so cheap, so this is something I have to make more often. If only we had some frites to go with it.

No comments: