Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Joe's Shanghai

Joe's Shanghai is famous for their xio long bao, also know as soup dumplings, so you can't make a trip here without ordering some of those. I've been to the location in Manhattan's Chinatown as well as the one in Flushing, Queens. I MUCH prefer the location in Flushing. While it is far, I find the quality, value, and portions to be significantly better. This location also isn't clogged with tourists who don't really know why they're there to begin with, aside from the fact that it's perhaps the most famous Shanghainese restaurant in the city.


These are the famous soup dumplings that Joe's attributes its fame to, and for good reason. I've honestly never tried soup dumplings anywhere else, so I can't compare, but as far as I know, these are the best in the city. If there's better, then I'd be happy to hear where I can get them. My technique is to nibble a tiny bite, slurp some of the MSG-filled broth, then eat the rest of the dumpling in one bite while leaving some of the broth in there. The broth is perfectly flavorful. What an explosion in my mouth. The only thing to watch out for is that you don't spill any of the broth because what a waste that would be.

I wish I knew the exact name of this dish, but it's not on the menu online since it's featured on the Chef's Daily Specials menu. Basically, these were crispy fried prawns (head on) with some peppers and preserved egg yolk. I wasn't really sure of what to expect from the preserved egg yolk, but WOW. It added another flavor and texture to the battered prawns. The texture was almost along the lines of cream cheese, but not quite as creamy. Even though this dish may be pretty atypical of what most people would order at a Chinese restaurant, this is perhaps the most memorable dish I've had at any Chinese place. Definitely order this if you ever make it out to Joe's Shanghai. It's only about $12 for 15 whole prawns on skewers. I'm pretty sure this would be way more expensive in Manhattan, if they even serve this there.

This doesn't look like much, but this is the Braised Pork Shoulder, which I loved as well. I've actually never been a fan of pork in it's most natural form. (Meaning, I'm all about the sausages, but you won't see me eating pork chops or lechon) There was such a ridiculous amount of meat in this dish though that it was basically impossible to finish. It was certainly swimming in a lot of sauce (not sure what kind), but the taste was not overwhelming. Since I don't like the natural taste of pork, a lot of sauce worked for me. The meat was also so tender. It really just fell off of bone. This was a heaping portion of the Pan-Fried Noodles with Beef. Some people don't like the really thick noodles. I do as long as it's pan-fried, so I really liked this dish. As long as you like the thick noodles, then get this because it's pretty darn good.

These are among my favorite dishes at Joe's. If you can, go to the one in Flushing. If not, then deal with the tourists and the more cramped one in Manhattan. I haven't been to the midtown location, but I think it's safe to say don't go there.

Joe's Shanghai
136-21 37th Avenue
Flushing, New York 11354

No comments: