Saturday, May 9, 2009

Spacca Napoli

For my last meal in Chicago before I headed back to Dominica, my parents and I went to Spacca Napoli in the Ravenswood neighborhood. Minus the big city pace, it does have a very authentic Italian feel with al fresco dining, Italian art and music, and a custom built stone (I think?) oven. They even serve wine in regular glasses, not wine glasses, just like in most casual places in Italy.


We started off with the prosciutto e bufala mozzarella antipasto. This was quite a generous portion, as they gave us an ENTIRE ball of bufala. The cheese was ridiculously amazing. I've been a huge bufala fan ever since my first trip to Italy, but for some reason, not many Italian places in the US use it, which is too bad. Spacca Napoli is quite liberal in their bufala servings, and that made me happy.


One of the pizzas we shared was the Salsiccia with Tomatoes, Fior Di Latte Mozzarella, Basil, Italian Sausage, Olive Oil. The pizzas are meant to be individual portions (like in Italy), but 2 pizzas and that big antipasto was good enough for my parents and I. This pizza was just like in Italy. It was very thing with a nicely charred 1" crust. The crust might be millimeters thicker than most pizzas I've had in Italy, but maybe that's being too picky. Either way, it was awesome. The pizzas here are VERY basic, so there aren't too many choices if you want meat on your pizza. This one was a great choice though.


The other pizza we got was the Bianca con Bufala, which was a Pizza Bianca with Mozzarella Di Bufala, Basil, Olive Oil. Even though this one was much more simple, I may have liked this one more only because the bufala and olive oil were brought out so well. They top the perfect amount of cheese, so the flavor of the bufala stood out. It really is one of my all-time favorite cheeses, so you can see why I'm a fan of Spacca Napoli.

When outsiders think of pizza in Chicago, they think deep dish, but honestly, most Chicagoans don't eat that kind of pizza, at least not on a regular basis. Spacca Napoli is one of the few great options for true, authentic Neopolitan pizza in Chicago (possibly even in the US), so I highly recommend it. Get there early or be prepared to wait. The restaurant is moderately-sized, and it was mostly full when we got there at 6:15 or 6:30pm, and that's early for a Friday night. By 7:15, a lot of people were waiting. Overall, fantastic Neopolitan pizza...just like in Naples!

Spacca Napoli Pizzeria
1769 W. Sunnyside
Chicago, IL

No comments: