Monday, December 22, 2008

Mussels with Bacon and Apples


Bacon and apples together is something I've sort of had a fascination with lately even though I don't really recall eating that combination until, well...today. When I searched for bacon and apples on foodnetwork.com, I came across this recipe. I've never been a Bobby Flay fan, but the recipe sounded good, and I'm fairly confident in cooking mussels since I've done it a number of times before.

Instead of making 1 pound of mussels, I made 4.41lbs to be exact. Costco sells live mussels, and you have to cook all of them while they're live, so I didn't have much of a choice but to cook all 4.41lbs, but that was just enough for my family. I'm not really one for following recipes but rather just use them as a guide.

I ended up using about 12oz of bacon, 4 shallots (however in varying sizes), 2 Fuji apples, and whatever amount seemed appropriate of dry white wine, apple cider, and apple cider vinegar. I bought heavy cream and ended up forgetting to put it in, but that's ok because the mussels were perfectly fine without the cream.

I definitely want to make this again, possibly with the cream and maybe less bacon.

No comments: