Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Artichoke

I finally paid a visit to the hyped-up new pizza joint, Artichoke on 14th St near 2nd Ave. I went around 3pm last week, and it seems like the place had just opened up because there weren't any pizzas ready yet. After about 10 minutes of waiting, I ordered a slice of the first pizza that came out, and I honestly didn't even know what it was going to be. I was so hungry that I didn't want to wait for anything else. But hey, who doesn't like surprises? Unfortunately, I'm not positive if this one truly delivered. Clearly, I didn't do my research because even while eating it, I didn't know what the slice was called. I'm not sure if it was the signature Artichoke pizza, artichoke&spinach, or just spinach. Because there was only one piece of artichoke on it.

In any case, the slice was actually good if you like a lot of cheese and creamy stuff. For $3, it was a good deal because the pizza was a massive size. I don't think I would get this again though. It was too rich and creamy for my taste...although it did taste good. Sorry, no picture of that pizza. It was extremely messy though, so there's not too much to look at anyways.



But that's the slice I got yesterday - just a plain round slice, and this was way more suited to my taste than the creamy Artichoke pizza. While it may not be for everyone, I loved it. And the thing is that it wasn't perfect, but it's pizza, and as weird as it may sound, it's one of the edible things in life that's sometimes better with it's flaws. I know that totally doesn't even make sense, so I'll stop right there.

The pizza was good, and at $2.50 for a plain slice, it's certainly worth it when all the other plain slices at generic pizza joints are the same price, if not more expensive. Artichoke doesn't use fresh mozzarella, but they don't use generic shredded cheese either. Whatever it is, it's good (considering it's not fresh mozzarella). There was also a generous amount of fresh basil which I like. The narrow half of the pizza was slightly soggy while the wider half was really crunchy, but it's ok because overall, it was a really good-tasting pizza.

Artichoke
14th St. btwn 1st and 2nd Ave

No comments: