Friday, May 16, 2008

Falafels y Waffles



I tried a falafel from Maoz Vegetarian last night after reading some reviews on it. For $4.95, you get a pretty big falafel sandwich in either a wheat or white pita, and all the veggies you want. $5 is a bit on the expensive side for a falafel, especially after surviving on $2.50 falafels from Mamoun's while I was at NYU, but I actually think Maoz is worth it as long as you make the most if it. The thing that puts Maoz above other falafel joints is the salad bar where you can add on all the veggies you want. It comes with a pretty good selection too ranging from several different types of sauaces (I went with the cilantro sauce and what I think was garlic tahini) to all sorts of vegetables. I just went with chickpeas which had some sort of greenery on it, lettuce, and cucumbers. There's definitely a lot of other veggies (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc etc etc), but I didn't want to overfill my falafel. You can do that if you want though. I definitely saw a guy stack a monster salad on top of the sandwich. Not sure how that held up, but good for him.

Overall, the falafel was pretty darn good, and I'd definitely get it again. It was a pretty decent size with maybe 5-6 falafel balls inside. Perhaps the one downfall is that they're on the dry side, but it doesn't fall apart or anything. The pita itself holds up well. The one thing I always hated about Mamoun's is that their pita bread sucked. It always broke for whatever reason. However, Maoz's pita is fluffy enough that it won't rip. I just wish the place had more seating. If there were seats available, I would've been able to add more veggies/sauce once i got closer to the bottom. Apparently, I wasn't good at evenly distributing everything.




Since I'm a heffer, I wanted to try the Wafels and Dinges truck on 14th btwn 3rd and 4th Ave. Everytime I pass by it, I always really want one. Well, last night, I finally gave in, and it was worth the extra calories. I opted for the $4 liege cinnamon royal (basically a waffle with cinnamon) topped with nutella for an extra $1. Talk about a sugar overload. Note that I used to live at the NYU dorm that the waffle truck parks in front of, and I'm pretty sure I would've gained a junior 15 had the truck been there 2 years ago.



Maoz Vegetarian
Union Sq West btwn 15th and 16th

Wafels&Dinges
Location varies depending on time/day

No comments: