Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hallo Berlin

I like sausages. I really really do. As someone from Chicago, I take my sausages and hot dogs pretty seriously. (Note: I wanted to cry when Lisa was giving Polish sausages smack. You just don't do that in Chicago) So today I decided to try the Hallo Berlin cart on 54th and 5th ave for lunch today. I had been to meaning to try this famous cart for like two years now, but it's only out there on weekdays during lunch hours. Finally, I realized I should take advantage of my part-time job and go to Hallo Berlin on a day when I don't work.

I was expecting a long line, but it really wasn't that bad. I waited maybe for 15-20 minutes today, and it was well worth it. I went with the $6 Single Soul Man Mix with Bavarian-Lite Weisswurst (nicknamed "BMW"), which is a veal sausage. Since it comes with German fries, crusty bread, red&wine cabbage, and sauteed onions, I was expecting a sausage in bun with fries on the side, but I was so wrong. It turns out they slice and chop the sausage and mix it with the German fries (which seem to be similar to home fries), cabbage, and sauteed onions. The bread is served on the side. I was actually somewhat upset at first since I was hoping for a normal sandwich, but it's ok because it was still very delicious.

The sausage was very tasty and not too firm at all. I forgot to pay attention to how they cook the sausages, and since mine was chopped and mixed with all the other stuff, I couldn't really tell how it was made. Whether it was boiled or grilled, the texture and taste was good for me. The "crusty bread" was pretty darn good as well. Not only was it perfectly crusty on the outside and perfectly soft on in the inside, but it was actually warm, which is pretty impressive for a cart. I know they didn't just put the bread on the grill to warm it up a bit, so I'm pretty impressed that it seemed as though the bread just came out of the oven.

I think next time (and there definitely will be a next time before I peace out at the end of June), I'll get an actual sandwich. If I'm really hungry, I'll get one of the other specials (like the Dictator's Special).

Some photos:





Hallo Berlin (cart)
5th avenue and 54th St
New York, NY

No comments: